University of Texas at Austin Postdoctoral Fellow 2005-07
Hanyang University Ph.D. Chemical Engineering 2002
Hanyang University M.S. Chemical Engineering 1998
Hanyang University B.S. Chemical Engineering 1996
9/2016 – present: Professor of Energy Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul Korea
9/2011 – present: Associate Professor of Energy Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul Korea
9/2008 – 8/2011: Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul Korea
3/2008 – 8/2008: Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Korea
10/2002 – 6/2005: Senior Research Scientist of Research Institute of Industrial ScienceHanyang University, Seoul, Korea
Dr. Park’s research is in material science and engineering and, more specifically, in advanced materials designs for energy-saving separation technology and environmental resources. He has published approximately peer-reviewed SCI 120 articles (h-index: 47) in this area, 5 contributed book chapters, 60 patents, and 300 international proceedings.
His primary research interest is to design and develop new advanced nanoporous carbon materials for energy-saving separation technology and environmental green energy applications and his work has covered many years. His present research is focused primarily on new materials for natural gas purification and hydrogen separation, nanocomposite materials, low energy desalination processes, and new materials for improving fouling resistance in liquid separation membranes. He has also performed fundamental researches in materials guidelines for energy-saving separation processes using polymeric and inorganic materials. He serves on chairs of various international meetings and conferences.
Honors and Awards
HYU Distinguished Research Awards (2016); Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MISP) Outstanding Scientist Award (2014); Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) Excellent Scientist Award (2007); North American Membrane Society (NAMS) Outstanding Young Scientist Award (2007); Korea Research Foundation (KRF) Postdoctoral Fellow (2005); The Membrane Society of Korea (MSK) Excellent Scientific Paper Award (2003); Hanyang University Excellent Scientific Thesis Award (2002); Brain Korea 21 (BK21) Graduate Fellowship (2000); Hanyang University Scholarship (1993)
- H. B. Park, J. Kamcev, L. M. Robeson, M. Elimelech, B. D. Freeman, “Maximizing the Right Stuff: The Trade-off between Membrane Permeability and Selectivity”, Science 356, eaab0530 (2017).
- H. Lee, S. C. Park, J. S. Roh, G. H. Moon, J. E. Shin, Y. S. Kang, H. B. Park, “Metal-Organic Frameworks Grown on a Porous Planar Template with an Exceptionally High Surface Area: Promising Nanofiller Platforms for CO2 Separation”, J. Mater. Chem. A. 10.1039/C7TA06049A (2017).
- Y. H. Cho, H. W. Kim, H. D. Lee, J. E. Shin, B. M. Yoo, H. B. Park, “Water and Ion Sorption, Diffusion, and Transport in Graphene Oxide Membranes Revisited”, J. Membr. Sci., 544, 425-435 (2017).
- H. D. Lee, H. W. Kim, Y. H. Cho, H. B. Park “Experimental Evidence of Rapid Water Transport through Carbon Nanotubes Embedded in Polymeric Desalination Membranes”, Small, 10(13), 2653 (2014).
- M. J. Yoo, H. W. Kim, B. M. Yoo, H. B. Park “Highly soluble polyetheramine-functionalized graphene oxide and reduced graphene oxide both in aqueous and non-aqueous solvents”, Carbon, 75, 149 (2014).
- H. B. Park et al. Extremely Selective Few layered Graphene and Graphene Oxide Membranes, Science, 342, 91 (2013).
- Du, H. B. Park, M. M. Dal-Cin, M.D. Guiver, Advances in High Permeability Polymeric Membrane Materials for CO2 Separations, Energy & Environ. Sci. 5, 7306 (2012).
- N. Du, H. B. Park, G. P. Robertson, M. M. Dal-Cin, T. Visser, L. Scoles, M.D. Guiver, Polymer Nanosieve Membranes for CO2-Caputre Applications, Nature Mater. 10, 372 (2011).
- Y. J. Cho, H. B. Park, High Performance Polyimide with High Internal Free Volume Elements, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 32, 579 (2011) (Cover Picture Article).
- G. M. Geise, H. B. Park, A. C. Sagle, B. D. Freeman, J. E. McGrath, Water Permeability and Water/Salt Selectivity Tradeoff in Polymers for Desalination, J. Membr. Sci. 369, 130 (2011).
- H. B. Park, S. H. Han, C. H. Jung, Y. M. Lee, A. J. Hill, Thermally Rearranged (TR) Polymer Membranes for CO2 Separation, J. Membr. Sci. 359, 11 (2010).
- H. B. Park, B. D. Freeman, Z. B. Zhang, M. S. Sankir, J. E. McGrath, Highly Chlorine-Tolerant Polymers for Desalination, Angewandte Chemie-International Edition 47, 6019 (2008).
- H. B. Park et al., Polymers with Cavities Tuned for Fast Selective Transport of Small Molecules and Ions, Science 318, 254 (2007).
- H. B. Park, Y. M. Lee, Fabrications and Characterization of Nanoporous Carbon/Silica Membrane, Advanced Materials 17, 477 (2005).
- H. B. Park, D. W. Han, Y. M. Lee, Effect of a UV/Ozone Treatment on Siloxane-Containing Copolyimides: Surface Modification and Gas Transport Characteristics, Chemistry of Materials 15, 2346 (2003).
- H. B. Park, I. Y. Suh, Y. M. Lee, Novel Pyrolytic Carbon Membranes Containing Silica Phase: Preparation and Characterization, Chemistry of Materials 14, 3034 (2002).