CURRICULUM VITAE AND SHORT LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
- Roni Kasher, Associate professor, Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research, Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Sede Boqer Campus 84990, Israel.
- Tel: 972-8-6563531; 972-54-2475802 (mobile); firstname.lastname@example.org http://in.bgu.ac.il/en/bidr/ziwr/dwt/Pages/staff/Kasher.aspx
- B.Sc. – 1986-1989 – cum laude, Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Chemistry and Geology.
- M.Sc. – 1990-1992 – cum laude, Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Organic Chemistry.
Thesis supervisor: Prof. Itamar Willner.
- Ph.D. – 1994-2000 – Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Organic Chemistry.
Thesis supervisor: Prof. Chaim Gilon
- Postdoctoral research – 2000-2003 – Weizmann Institute of Science, Department of Biological Chemistry. Israel. Advisor: Prof. Ephraim Katchalski-Katzir.
- 2017-present Associate Professor, Department of Desalination & Water Treatment, Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research, Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel.
- 2011-2017 Senior Lecturer, Faculty member, Department of Desalination & Water Treatment, Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research, Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel.
- 2005-2011 Lecturer, Faculty member, Department of Desalination & Water Treatment, Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel.
- 2003 -2005 Research associate, In the group of the late Prof. Ronit Nativ, Department of Soil and Water Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Rehovot, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
Roni Kasher obtained his PhD from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, in 2000. After a postdoc fellowship in the Weizmann Institute of Science (Rehovot, Israel) Roni was appointed a faculty position at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel. Roni supervised 19 MSc theses, 8 PhDs, and 5 postdoc students. R. Kasher is interested in preparing membranes with improved surface properties and solute transport for nanofiltration, reverse-osmosis and ultra-filtration processes. Organic chemistry knowledge and synthetic chemistry approaches are used to prepare novel and advanced membranes. The aim is to deal with obstacles associated with membrane-based water treatment such as removal of organic contaminants, membrane fouling and biofouling, and membrane stability, while maintaining the salt rejection and flux characteristics of existing membranes. Water technologies that complement membrane processes include sorption processes, organic contaminants in groundwater and freshwater, and monitoring of the organic pollutants in water. Other areas of expertise are peptide synthesis and chemistry, scaling phenomena in water treatment processes, and the effects of organic matter on mineralization.
- Awards, Citations, Honors:
- 2016 – Research news online magazines highlighting my article published in EST 2016 (Stein et al., EST 2016):
- – Saline groundwater better than seawater for desalination, researchers say; Flow Control, 3 March 2016. http://www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/saline-groundwater-better-than-seawater-for-desalination-researchers-say/
- – Study shows saline groundwater beats seawater; Desalination and Water Reuse (D&WR) online magazine, 8 March 2016. http://www.desalination.biz/news/2/Study-shows-saline-groundwater-beats-seawater/8359/
- – Researchers find saline groundwater better water source than seawater; Water Technology Net, 4 March 2016. http://www.water-technology.net/news/newsresearchers-find-saline-groundwater-better-water-source-seawater-4829300
- – Saline Groundwater Better than Seawater for Reverse Osmosis Desalination; AZO Cleantech, 3 March 2016: http://www.azocleantech.com/news.aspx?newsID=23189
- 2009 – 2013: Helen Ungar Career Development Chair in Desert Hydrogeology.
- 2010 – A special article in Chemical & Engineering News is portraying the research of Dr. Kasher and his coworkers (refereed article no. 19), describing it as “New research on reverse osmosis membranes could improve the efficiency of desalination plants”.
- “Surface Chemistry of Reverse Osmosis Membranes Slows Desalination: By tweaking charged functional groups on filter surfaces, researchers could improve efficiency.” by Rajendrani Mukhopadhyay, Chemical & Engineering News Nov. 3rd, 2010; URL: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/88/i41/8841news.html
- Committees and Services
- The Scientific Steering Committee of Blaustein Center for Scientific Cooperation (BCSC, BIDR), Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
- Member of the Teaching committee, Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research (BGU)
- The Safety Committee of Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Studies (BIDR), Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
Graduate Students Advisees (year of graduation)
MSc students (total MSc students: 19)
Eyal Hershkovitz (2008), Karin Berliner (2008), Eva Aroch (2009), Matan Brami (2009), Jenny Lerner-Yardeni (2009), Zvi Steiner (2009), Inbal Eshet (2011), Shani Avneri (2012), Gagik Ghazaryan (2012), Nitzan Kandiote (2012), Bara Wahbeh (2012), Ani Vardanyan (2014), Shaked Stein (2015), Clil Regev (2015), Itay Lutsky (2016), Mahmood Al-Ramahi (2017), Canwei Mao (2017), Adva Kalman (current), Einav Nissim (current).
PhD students (total PhD students: 8)
Marina Yamit-Lutskiy (2014), Yara Dahdal (2014), Aviv Cohen (2018), Nitzan Shtreimer Kandiyote (2018), Suleiman Halasah (current), Shaked Stein (current), Paramita Manna (current), Clil Regev (current).
Postdocs (total postdocs: 5)
Miao Jing (2008), Rajender Kumar (2013), David Meridor (2015), Karthik Rathinam (2017), Swati Sundararayan (current).
- Scientific Publications
- H-index (ISI): 16
- Number of peer-reviewed articles: 58
Roni Kasher – Publications in the last 5 years
- Marina-Yamit Lutskiy, Shani Avneri-Katz, Ni Zhu, Mark Itsko, Zeev Ronen, Christopher J. Arnusch, Roni Kasher (2015). A microbiology-based assay for quantification of bacterial early stage biofilm formation on reverse-osmosis and nanofiltration membranes. Separation and Purification Technology 141, 214-220.
- Wang Ying, Rajender Kumar, Moshe Herzberg, and Roni Kasher (2015). Diminished swelling of cross-linked aromatic oligoamide surfaces revealed a new fouling mechanism of reverse-osmosis membranes. Environmental Science & Technology 49, 6815-6822.
- Aviv Cohen, Jenny Lerner-Yardeni, David Meridor, Roni Kasher, Ilana Nathan, Abraham H. Parola (2015). Humanin derivatives inhibit necrotic cell death in neurons. Molecular Medicine, 21, 505-514.
- Schwahn, V. Pipich, R. Kasher, and Y. Oren (2015). Accumulation of GdCl3 in the feed of a reverse osmosis system during desalination as determined by neutron absorption. European Conference on Neutron Scattering 2015.
- N. Dahdal, V. Pipich, H. Rapaport, Y. Oren, R. Kasher, D. Schwahn (2016). Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Studies on Alginate as Biomineralizing Agent and Scale Initiator. Polymer, 85, 77-88.
- Shaked Stein, Amos Russak, Orit Sivan, Yoseph Yechieli, Eyal Rahav, Yoram Oren, and Roni Kasher (2016). Saline groundwater from coastal aquifers as a source for desalination. Environmental Science & Technology 50, 1955-1963.
This article was highlighted in the magazines:
- Saline groundwater better than seawater for desalination, researchers say; Flow Control, 3 March 2016. http://www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/saline-groundwater-better-than-seawater-for-desalination-researchers-say/
- Study shows saline groundwater beats seawater; Desalination and Water Reuse (D&WR) online magazine, 8 March 2016. http://www.desalination.biz/news/2/Study-shows-saline-groundwater-beats-seawater/8359/
- Yara N. Dahdal, Yoram Oren, Dietmar Schwahn, Vitaliy Pipich, Moshe Herzberg, Wang Ying, Roni Kasher and Hanna Rapaport (2016). Biopolymer-Induced Calcium Phosphate Scaling in Membrane-Based Water Treatment Systems: Langmuir Model Films Studies. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 143, 233-242.
- Elias J. Bodner, Nitzan Kandiyote, Marina Y. Lutskiy, H. Bauke Albada, Nils Metzler-Nolte, Wolfgang Uhl, Roni Kasher, Christopher J. Arnusch (2016). Attachment of antimicrobial peptides to reverse osmosis membranes by Cu(I)-catalyzed 1,3-dipolar alkyne–azide cycloaddition. RSC Advances 6, 91815-91823.
- Schwahn*, H. Feilbach, T. Starc, V. Pipich, R. Kasher and Y. Oren* (2017). Design and Test of a Reverse Osmosis Pressure Cell for in-situ Small-Angle Neutron Scattering Studies. Desalination 405, 40-50.
- Dietmar Schwahn*, Vitaliy Pipich and Roni Kasher (2017). Phase behavior of methacrylic acid, poly(ethylene glycol) methyl ether, and poly(ethylene glycol) methacrylate in aqueous solutions. Polymer 121, 111-123.
- Karthik Rathinam, Swatantra P. Singh, Yilun Li, Roni Kasher, James M. Tour, Christopher Arnusch (2017). Polyimide derived laser-induced graphene as adsorbent for cationic and anionic dyes. Carbon 124, 515-524.
- Antonio Amelio, Marco Sangermano, Roni Kasher, Roy Bernstein, Alberto Tiraferr (2017). Fabrication of Nanofiltration Membranes via Stepwise Assembly of Oligoamide on Alumina Supports: Effect of Number of Reaction Cycles on Membrane Properties. Journal of Membrane Science 543, 269-276.
- Mengyuan Wu, Tianyi Ma, Yanlei Su, Hong Wu, Xinda You, Zhongyi Jiang, Roni Kasher (2017). Fabrication of composite nanofiltration membrane by incorporating attapulgite nanorods during interfacial polymerization for high water flux and antifouling property. Journal of Membrane Science 544, 79-87.
- Canwei Mao, Gunasekaran Mohanraj, Nitzan Shtreimer Kandiyote, Roni Kasher, Christopher J. Arnusch (2018). UV mediated attachment of short Arginine-Tryptophan antimicrobial peptides on reverse osmosis membrane surfaces inhibit Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm. Desalination 431, 73-79.
- Karthik Rathinam, Yoram Oren, Winfried Petry, Dietmar Schwahn and Roni Kasher* (2018). Calcium phosphate scaling during wastewater desalination on oligoamide surfaces mimicking reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes. Water Research 128, 217-225.
- Ziv Hezi, Shaked Shpak, Mordechai Fliesher, Leonid Gillerman, Roni Kasher, Gideon Oron (2018). Optimal managing the coastal aquifer for seawater desalination and meeting nitrates level of drinking water. Desalination 436, 63-68.
- David Meridor, Aviv Cohen, Boris Khalfin, Lakshminarasaiah Uppalapati Roni Kasher*, Ilana Nathan*, Abraham H. Parola*. The Protective Effect of Humanin Derivative AGA(C8R)-HNG17 Against Acetaminophen-Induced Liver Injury in Mice. International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics, formerly “Letters in Peptide Science” pp 1-7 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10989-018-9700-2).
- Gunasekaran Mohanraj, Canwei Mao, Asatryan Armine, Roni Kasher* and Christopher J. Arnusch* (2018). Ink-jet printing-assisted modification on polyethersulfone membranes using a UV-reactive antimicrobial peptide for fouling resistant surfaces. ACS Omega 3, 8752–8759.
- Karthik Rathinam, Swatantra Pratap Singh, Christopher J. Arnusch* and Roni Kasher* (2018) An environmentally-friendly chitosan-lysozyme biocomposite for the effective removal of dyes and heavy metals from aqueous solutions. Carbohydrate Polymers 199, 506-515.
- Swatantra Pratap Singh, Karthik Rathinam, Roni Kasher*, Christopher J. Arnusch* (2018). Hexavalent chromium ion and methyl orange dye uptake via a silk protein sericin-chitosan conjugate. RSC Advances 8, 27027-27036.
- Nitzan Shtreimer Kandiyote, Gunasekaran Mohanraj, Canwei Mao, Roni Kasher* and Christopher J. Arnusch* (2018). Synergy on Surfaces: Anti-Biofouling Interfaces using Surface-Attached Antimicrobial Peptides PGLa and Magainin-2. Langmuir 34, 11147–11155.
- Clil Regev, Sophia Belfer, Marina Holenberg, Rozalia Fainstein, Abraham H. Parola and Roni Kasher* (2019). Fabrication of poly(ethylene glycol) particles with a micro-spherical morphology on polymeric fibers and its application in high flux water filtration. Separation and Purification Technology 210, 729-736.
- Aum Solanki, Rudy Smalling, Abraham H. Parola, Ilana Nathan, Roni Kasher, Yashwant Pathak, Vijaykumar Sutariya (2019). Humanin nanoparticles for reducing pathological factors characteristic of age-related macular degeneration. Current Drug Delivery 16, 226-232.
- Vitaliy Pipich, Kornelia Schlenstedt, Marcel Dickmann, Roni Kasher, Jochen Meier-Haack, Christoph Hugenschmidt, Winfried Petry, Yoram Oren, Dietmar Schwahn (2019). Morphology and porous structure of standalone aromatic polyamide films as used in RO membranes – an exploration with SANS, PALS, and SEM. Journal of Membrane Science, 573, 167-176.
- Paramita Manna, Alberto Tiraferri, Marco Sangermano, Roy Bernstein*, and Roni Kasher* (2019). Stepwise synthesis of oligoamide coating on a porous support: Fabrication of a membrane with controllable transport properties. Separation and Purification Technology, 213, 11-18.
- Nitzan Shtreimer Kandiyote, Tehila Avisdris, Christopher J. Arnusch* and Roni Kasher* (2019). Grafted polymer coatings enhance fouling inhibition by an antimicrobial peptide on reverse osmosis membranes. Langmuir 35, 1935-1943.
- Mengyuan Wu, Jinqiu Yuan, Hong Wu, Yanlei Su, Hao Yang, Xinda You, Runnan Zhang, Xueyi He, Niaz Ali Khan, Roni Kasher, Zhongyi Jiang (2019). Ultrathin nanofiltration membrane with polydopamine-covalent organic framework interlayer for enhanced permeability and structural stability. Journal of Membrane Science 576, 131-141.
- Fei Wang, Mingrui He, Kang Gao, Yanlei Su, Runnan Zhang, Yanan Liu, Jianliang Shen, Zhongyi Jiang and Roni Kasher (2019). Constructing membrane surface with synergistic passive antifouling and active antibacterial strategies through organic-inorganic composite modifier. Journal of Membrane Science 576, 150-160.
- Shaked Stein, Yoseph Yechieli, Eyal Shalev, Roni Kasher and Orit Sivan (2019). The effect of pumping saline groundwater for desalination on the fresh–saline water interface dynamics. Water Research 156, 46-57.
- Karthik Rathinam, Shiju Abraham, Yoram Oren, Dietmar Schwahn, Winfried Petry, Yair Kaufman*, Roni Kasher* (2019). Surface-induced silica scaling during brackish water desalination: The role of surface charge and specific chemical groups. Environmental Science and Technology, in press.